Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Judging a book by its cover





With the sole intention of purchasing Paris: Made by Hand, I headed over to Livaria Cultura on my daily walk. (As I imagined, Bijkerk's book is fantastic.) But on the way out, my eyes were drawn to the gorgeous covers of the Companhia Das Letras editions of two novels by Lygia Fagundes Telles.

As the cliche goes, I know you shouldn't judge (and especially not buy) a book based on its cover. But who could resist the gorgeous cover art of Warrak Loureiro?

So i got to thinking and (naturally) justifying my impulse purchase. I know that Telles is an important figure in Brazilian literature. But I also know how difficult it is to read books other than "brain candy" novels in another language. My last attempt was with Chico Buarque's Budapeste which resulted in a drooled-on pillow and and a (still) unread book on my nightstand. And this was before my pregnancy and post-partum challenged brain! But it was also more than two years ago. So, whipping out the credit card, I decided to give it another try. After all, is there anything better than reading the author in his/her native tongue?

I'll let you know how it works out!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I am partial to your "heading" photo!!!

    facebook: Ginger Renken

    ReplyDelete