Thursday, December 2, 2010

Starving Marvins

IMG_9287
IMG_9314

When Georgia and I are hungry, we like to call ourselves "Starving Marvins." And breastfeeding has given me a trucker's appetite. So my Mom and I made a batch of my favorite cookies this afternoon. They may not be the prettiest cookie around but this recipe renders them nice and chewy. You won't be able to eat just one.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups flour
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole rolled oats
1 1/2 cups raisins
(add nuts if you like)

Put the baking soda, flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and stir with a fork until well mixed. Set aside. With mixer, cream together flour, butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add in the dry mixture. Stir in (by hand) the oats and raisins. Form the cookies into small balls and bake at 180 C/350 for 10 - 15 minutes. They should be golden around the edges but still rather undercooked in the middle.

This recipe comes out best if you make the dough and refrigerate it overnight. The cookies are thicker and denser. But I couldn't wait today and just popped the balls on a cookie sheet and into the freezer for 15 minutes before baking. (I also made each ball 20 grams...yes I weighed each one. I like my cookies the same size...neurotic.) They were still great...but the shape was a little flatter than I like.

Let me know if you were able to eat just one!

1 comment:

  1. Can we get the Portuguese version?
    I certainly would appreciate.
    Love your work!

    ReplyDelete